So, yum!! It's actually a vegan recipe but lucky for me this also makes it MSPI friendly. Click here for the original recipe. I have also copied it here for convenience along with her original link.
Easy Tomato Basil Cream PastaLightly adapted from Vegan Yum Yum.
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 2 servings uncooked spaghetti (I used the leftover angel hair from Trader Joe's that I used in Mexican Noodle Soup from a couple of posts ago.)
- 1 large ripe tomato or two smaller tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (Trader Joe's brand for me)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3)
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3-4 tbsp water or wine, (optional but I did use water to thin it out a bit)
- 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Chop tomato and add it to the blender/food processor (including skin and seeds). Now add the cashews, water, and tomato paste. Blend until smooth.
2. Add your pasta to boiling water and cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to low. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a few minutes being careful not to burn it.
4. Pour the sauce from the blender into the skillet, stir, and bring to a simmer. Add the salt and let it cook for 4-5 minutes, watching closely. You may add water or wine to thin out the sauce to you desired consistency, but this is not necessary.
5. Remove sauce from heat and stir in the chopped basil and pepper. Once the pasta is done cooking, rinse and drain it. Add the drained pasta back in the pot and now gradually add pasta sauce until your desired amount is achieved. Stir and serve immediately. Makes 2 servings, likely with sauce leftover.