Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tentative Plans

Edits are in red. Edited 07.30.13

Per my doctor's request I am going to document pieces of this journey. I was in her office yesterday for my 34 week appointment and telling her about my nutrition plans. I told her that the first time I tried this it was "a giant flop". We were talking about the complexities of nutrition and how when a person is not sleep deprived and in a constant state of exhaustion, it is difficult to sort through all the details. I was talking about how I had been looking into all of the ins and outs of MSPI. How I had been reading blogs, research, articles, chapters of nutrition books and she said, "are you writing this down?" Um.... no. So here we are.

Just a brief overview of my "perfect situation" plan.

July 8th, 2013 - 30 days prior to due date - Start MSPI diet (I actually started 6 weeks out because my first babe was 2 weeks early). It can take up to 30 days for these dairy and soy proteins to clear your system and so starting "clean" was important to me. For me, this includes all dairy and soy products including soybean oils and soy lecithin. According to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, "soy oil is allowed because it is a fat and not a protein. Studies show that most people may safely eat soy lecithin. Soy lecithin is a mix of fatty content from the processing of soybeans." My first baby, E, was not as sensitive to soy as he was to dairy but I am not taking chances. Other wordings that were tricky for me the first time around were words where dairy was hiding. In hindsight, they really aren't so complicated but I did not have the ability to process this at that time.
     Sneaky dairy ingredients to avoid: whey, casein, caseinate, curds, lactose, and lactalbumin
     Other items that should be avoided include hot dogs, cold cuts, commercial frozen patties, hamburger extenders, yogurt, cheese, tofu, textured vegetable protein, meat extenders, scrambled eggs, canned tuna in vegetable oil, cream, sour cream, fats prepared with added milk and soy solids: butter, margarine, mayonnaise, salad dressings, vegetable oil (often soy based), vegetable oil sprays, shortening unless the type of oil is specified, gravies, and some coffee creamers. (This list is modified from Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.)

4-6 weeks after birth I will introduce the soybean oil and soy lecithin back into my diet. If there is going to be a reaction, it should be seen within 3 days, however, it is best to wait 2 weeks (according to E's pediatrician) before introducing anything else.

If all goes well with the previous, 3-4 months after birth, I will introduce soy products (not soy milk or formula), most likely just some soy sauce in my diet. Reaction time should be the same as above.

If all goes well with soy products then I will consider introducing dairy at 6-7 months. I am considering doing this in the form of a dairy based formula as then I will not have to clear my system again. I want to wait a full 6 months because I want the baby's gut to seal off. When formula is introduced that opens his/her gut. (According to the RN that taught the breastfeeding class.)

Introducing solids to this baby will be in the same order that I introduced them to E. First veggies, then meats and fruits and lastly grains. This I will play by ear. I made a good portion of E's baby food and will hopefully do the same this time so that I have a say in what this one is eating.

All this being said, the chances of this being how things go is slim. :) I'm cool with that too. Just an outline but I am cautiously optimistic about how this will go. I have found lots of mixed information on whether the likelihood of having a second baby with MSPI is higher or lower and whether it would be more or less severe. I guess I have decided it doesn't really matter what the numbers say. If this baby has it or not, we will be more prepared.

Tonight's MSPI safe meal was Vegetarian Spaghetti.
  
Vegetarian Spaghetti with Lentils
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped or shredded carrots
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 T olive oil
- Saute the above ingredients until tender

In a large 4 quart soup kettle - combine the following and stir and simmer at least an hour
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce (I used Trader Joe's brand)
1 small can tomato paste (Trader Joe's brand)
1 jar sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup water
1 can of tomatoes
1/3 cup lentils (rinsed and drained)
2 tsp brown sugar
basil, oregano thyme, dash of hot sauce if desired
Stir in vegetables

I served this over Trader Joe's whole wheat spaghetti pasta.

The boys sprinkled mozzarella cheese on theirs. I used nutritional yeast on mine for a bit of extra "cheese" flavor. Paired with broccoli cooked with a squeeze of lemon juice and a handful of grapes. Yum yum. I think I need to learn how to take better photos of food. :)

We each ate a portion and the rest freezes quite well. 


 














No comments:

Post a Comment