Patrick came home one day a month or so ago with a bit of leftover salad. It was so good that one of his coworkers helped me hunt down the general ingredient list. (Thanks Ginny!)
This wheat berry salad is a bit different than its inspiration. I used dried apricots instead of dried cranberries and it is a bit spicier although, this would be remedied with less curry powder.
We really liked it. Obviously, this is not for the gluten free group but it is dairy and soy free.
Wheat Berry Salad with Orange Curry Dressing
For the salad -
1 cup wheat berries
1 cup brown rice
2 cups chopped kale
5 green onions chopped
1/3 cup cashew pieces
1 small can (7 oz) crushed pineapple drained
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots (could substitute dried cranberries or raisins)
For the dressing -
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 cup orange or mango marmalade
2 T fennel seeds
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 T curry powder (scant)
1/2 t salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Cook the wheat berries and the brown rice per package instructions using vegetable broth instead of water.
2. Allow wheat berries and rice to cool.
3. While the first two ingredients are cooling, chop kale, green onions and apricots.
4. Add all salad ingredients to large bowl.
5. To make the dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a small food brocessor or blender (I used my small Ninja Express) and blend until smooth.
6. Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
7. This salad is best to let sit in the fridge for a few hours to let flavors mix.
8. Serve on a bed of greens.