I have always loved a good, homemade chicken noodle soup but I ALWAYS left all the chicken in the bottom of the bowl. (Sorry about that mom.) This recipe hits the spot and maintains a great flavor. Yum. My mom and I tossed around the idea of exchanging the pasta for wild rice and maybe adding mushrooms but I suppose then it would be mushroom and wild rice soup. Another soup for another day.
Not-Chicken Noodle Soup
- 10 large long celery stalks (you will need 3 cups sliced)
- 3 cups sliced or chopped carrots
- 3/4 to 1large white or yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 heaping cup)
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, finely minced (about a tablespoon)
- 2½ cups diced potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 10 cups water
- 3 vegan bouillon cubes (I used Rapunzel brand with sea salt.)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast to taste
- 1 cup rotini noodles
- Chop all veggies.
- Add the water to a large pot and bring to a boil, add the bouillon cubes and whisk to dissolve. Add all of the veggies and seasonings including thyme, salt, and nutritional yeast. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn to low heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the pasta and bring back to a boil. Leave the lid off and turn the heat to medium-high and cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and black pepper.