Friday, July 12, 2013

"Whooo Hooo"

That is the resounding answer my 2 1/2 year old gives if you ask him if he wants to get ice cream, or see Grammy, or go to the swimming pool or play monster trucks. That is the enthusiasm you may have heard out of me when I took my first bite of these MSPI safe biscuits.

Olive Oil Drop Biscuits

These may just save my sanity.  Well, maybe not quite, but it's a nice thought. Ha.

I found this recipe on Glue and Glitter's website. Click here for the original recipe. I did copy it below as well from her site but she gets ALL the credit. I was a little hesitant to use the almond milk because sometimes it is just not right for the savory but it is pretty good in these. I think I may try rice milk next time. My yield was only 10 small biscuits and it took the full 8 minutes to bake. I will be tripling or quadrupling this recipe and making them for Thanksgiving this year so that there will be some form of food other than turkey and wine that I can have. I also think they may freeze so I may try that too (although they are pretty easy to make quickly).

Olive Oil Drop Biscuits

Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking; Yield: 12 biscuits
Ingredients
  • 1/2 + 1/3 cups white wheat flour
  • 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/6 cup olive oil
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 475F.
  2. Whisk together the dry ingredients, making sure that you break up any clumps of baking powder.
  3. Mix in the wet ingredients until the dough starts sticking to itself, rather than to the bowl.
  4. Divide the dough into 12 equal-sized balls – you can flatten them a bit, if you want crunchier biscuits – and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the biscuits turn a nice, golden brown.

07.14.13
I made these again tonight and I used rice milk instead of almond milk. I also added basil, oregano and thyme as well as nutritional yeast to make them more interesting. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment