Monday, July 29, 2013

BLTs MSPI Style

So this may sound like an easy one but I remember very clearly after my first little one that I couldn't get it together enough to even figure things like this out. I am sure the rest of you aren't quite this paralyzed by sorting the MSPI diet restrictions out. Maybe it was the sleep deprivation, maybe it was the denial, maybe it was the screaming baby or maybe it's just me but the combination froze my brain cells and I couldn't even get something like this made. Therefore, I decided that no recipe is too basic. If nothing else, I will come back to the myself in the next few months. Wink.

So, yesterday with my husband out coaching baseball (again) I made BLTs for E and I. Well, he eats, bread, bacon, lettuce, and fruit separate and I eat a sandwich. :)

MSPI BLT
* Four slices toasted bread
      - I used Rudi's 100% whole wheat sandwich flats that I bought at Natural Grocer's. Their products are all allergen free. I also keep Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat Bread in my fridge, also MSPI safe.
* 1 tomato sliced
* 4 strips of Trader Joe's peppered turkey bacon or Peddler's bacon cooked.
     - Double check labels on bacon as it may contain cassein, neither of these brands do. We so rarely buy bacon that I really had to double check this.
* Lettuce or spinach of any variety
* Soy Free Vegenaise
     - This is a mayo type replacement. It's actually pretty darn good. It ingredients include: (vegan, gluten free, dairy free) Expeller-Pressed Hi-Oleic Safflower Oil, Filtered Water, Brown Rice Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Pea Protein, Sea Salt, Mustard Flour, Lemon Juice Concentrate. Really, nothing crazy! I buy this at Natural Grocer here in town. I am sure that it is sold at Whole Foods as well, we just don't have one yet. I have also seen the original version at our local grocery store in the Health Food section but they don't care the Soy Free.

See easy! This would make two sandwiches. Served with fruit, raw veggies, or Stacey's multigrain Pita chips, it is a great quick lunch or dinner. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment