These little beauties are based off of the earlier recipe for Homemade Peanut Butter. Find it here. I gave my mom a jar of the first batch of peanut butter and her response was "man, this would be good covered in chocolate." Ok, maybe she didn't say it quite like that but that is what I heard. Ha. And so, I did what she suggested, I coated the peanut butter in chocolate, because how can that ever be bad?!
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate "Easter Eggs"
1 small jar homemade peanut butter -or- any vegan creamy store bought variety
2 cups vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Dark or semisweet varieties)
1 tsp refined Coconut Oil
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using a spoon place dollops of peanut butter on the lined cookie sheet. We like to make ours a bit smaller so I used about 1/2 of a Tablespoon for each. Don't worry about their shape now, this will be addressed later.
3. Place in freezer for 20-30 minutes or until at least slightly firm.
4. While peanut butter is firming up, melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave. If using microwave melt in 30 second increments and stir well in between.
5. When melted, stir in coconut oil until melted and incorporated. This will help to make more of a candy style coating on your "eggs".
6. Remove peanut butter dollops from freezer and, one at a time, form into balls and dip in melted chocolate.
7. Shake off excess chocolate and place on parchment.
8. Immediately sprinkle a tiny amount of Himalayan Sea Salt on the wet chocolate. (The chocolate dries quickly so you must do this after you place each egg on the the parchment. If you wait to do them all until the end, the chocolate has hardened and the salt will just bounce right off. Trust me on this.)
9. Store in freezer or fridge. Delicious.