Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Raw Brownie Truffles

2 weeks of no processed sugars and I feel awesome. Hello, why do I not eat this way all the time? So dumb. 
Anywho, everyone still needs to have a little treat now and then, right? My husband and 3 year old taste tested these for me. The three year old was not sold due to the crunchiness but my husband seemed to think they were good. They have not, however, been disappearing from our fridge the way other sweet treats do and so I think he may have been humoring me. That said, more for me! I LOVE these. Something about the chocolately goodness with the crunchy nuts and the coconut makes them delicious. I thought they might be good frozen too but I found that I prefer them just cold from the fridge or at room temperature. When they are frozen you lose some of the chocolate flavor as well as the whole thing is more crunchy so out the window goes the fantastic texture combination. Whatever your preference, if you are a chocolate lover these should go on your "Recipes to Try" list. I am going to make a bunch for my long runs as I think they would be great on the trails.


Brownie Truffles

 makes approximately 30 truffles 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup cacao beans
  • 1 cup raw almonds
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1/2 cup cacao powder
  • 1/3-1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
  • 1 Tbls raw honey or agave (or to taste)
  • 8 Medjool dates without pits 

Extras 
  • cacao powder
  • unsweetened fine coconut  
     
Directions
  1. Place everything in you food processor except the dates and combine until crushed. (It will be chunky.)
  2. Check the consistency. If too crumbly add a bit more coconut oil and pulse to combine.
  3. When all your ingredients are crushed and the desired consistency, add the dates and keep blending.
  4. Make sure the dates are mashed thoroughly. You should have a sticky paste like "dough".
  5. Roll the paste into small balls with your clean hands.
  6. Roll them in fine unsweetened coconut or cacao powder to lightly coat.
  7. Place in the fridge for at least 30 min.




No comments:

Post a Comment