Sunday, March 2, 2014

Crispy Peanut Butter Bars


After my last post on hummus, my husband commented that it had not gone unnoticed that due to the massive influx of chick peas and tahini, the amount of baked goods had exponentially decreased.  I took to the kitchen to make some chocolate chip cookies that turned out pitifully (read tasted good but had a weird soft texture and were quite flat). I then cheated on these as they are technically a "no bake" bar. They do, however, taste like a crispy Reese's Peanut Butter Cup I am happy to report. They also got good reviews all the way around. We eat honey at our house as it is a high vibration food but if you are out on the honey you could certainly use agave or, I suppose, light corn syrup.





Plant Based Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars

Ingredients:
1 Cup Peanut Butter (I used Jif Natural Creamy)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
3 Cups Crisp Rice cereal (I used Trader Joe's brand)
3/4 Cup Vegan Chocolate Chips (I used Enjoy Life mini semi sweet)
1 1/2 Tablespoon Vegan Butter (I used soy free Earth Balance)


Directions:
1. Put the peanut butter, sugar, honey, and salt in a pan.
2. Heat over medium heat and stir continuously to incorporate sugars. 
When peanut butter mixture gets hot and starts to bubble, remove from heat and stir in rice crispies.
3. Scoop into an 8x8 or 11x7 pan lined with parchment paper.
4. Pat it all down with clean hands so it’s nice and even.
5. Melt chocolate chips and vegan butter in a double boiler.
6. Pour melted chocolate on top of the peanut butter crispy layer and spread.
7. Place in fridge to chill. 
8. Remove from pan using the edges of the parchment. 
9. Cut into bars. 
10. Try not to eat 25 of them in one sitting. Yikes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment