For the last 20 years, my mom has made a mint chocolate chip ice cream dessert for my birthday. It was adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe I think. I really wanted to veganize it but I specifically didn't want it to taste like coconut. After several attempts at the sauce and multiple ice cream varieties, this version was a smashing success. And better yet, the chocolate sauce was edible off the spoon on its own. Yum. I didn't get great photos of it, it disappeared too quickly. Maybe next time...
Crushed chocolate wafers - 1 pkg (I used one package of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies and 1 package of Chocolate Graham Teddy's from Whole Foods)
1/2 cup vegan butter melted (I used Miyoko's cultured vegan butter)
1/4 cup sugar
3 containers of NadaMoo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used the semi sweet chocolate chips from the bulk bin at my local grocery store but any vegan variety would be fine. You could use Enjoy Life brand as well.)
1/3 cup vegan butter (Miyoko's cultured vegan butter)*
1 cup powdered sugar
2 - 2.5 cups oat or cashew milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
* I tried several varieties including using Earth Balance but I found the flavor to be "off". Miyoko's was the best choice.
1. Heat the oat milk or cashew milk to a simmer. Let simmer slowly for 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 1/2 cups. STIR FREQUENTLY.
2. While the milk is reducing, crush the chocolate cookies in a ziplock to crumbs.
3. Stir together crushed cookies, sugar, and melted butter.
4. Press the mixture into the bottom of 9x13 pan and set in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove crust from freezer and tear open the cardboard containers of ice cream.
6. Lay the ice cream on it's side and slice into 1/2"-3/4" rounds.
7. Lay over crust filling in gaps as needed to completely cover.
8. Place back in the freezer.
9. To make the chocolate sauce, melt the chocolate chips and vegan butter in small sauce pan on low heat.
10. Add powered sugar and 1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk from above.
11. Cook and stir 20-25 minutes until slightly thickened.
12. Stir in vanilla.
13. Cool sauce completely.
14. Poor over ice cream layer and freeze until firm.