Today is my littlest one's first birthday. We made it to one. Phew. He is wonderful. He adores his big brother, wants to be on the move always, still has the cutest toothless grin, sucks the third and fourth fingers of his right hand, and LOVES to eat. He has a short fuse, loves to cuddle with his momma and carries his little cream colored lamb everywhere. We decided to have a quiet little get together for his birthday, well, as quiet as it can be with a very excited three year old and a tired, 12 month old, birthday boy. We had blue and white and green table settings and a sweet little lamb cake that I made for him.
I found a tutorial for a Fluffy Lamb Cake at Handmade Charlotte. The cake was a guest post from Lyndsay at Coco Cake Land. Check out both of their blogs for cute cakes and DIY projects. I made some adaptations to this cake. For one, both the cake and frosting are vegan and turned out great! Also, I chose to tone down the amount of icing on the cake with less piping as my kids are small and less sugar is always good.
Dairy Free Vanilla Birthday Cake
with Coconut Oil Vanilla "Buttercream" Frosting
For the Cake:
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together water, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and combine with whisk. Do not overmix.
- Immediately pour into prepared pans and place into the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil - solid form
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread (I used whipped)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons vanilla unsweetended almond milk(or any non-dairy milk)
- Whip the coconut oil and Earth Balance until it forms peaks.
- Slowly pour in sugar and beat until creamy. Repeat.
- Add milk a teaspoon at a time to desired consistency.
- Add vanilla extract and whip.
To make the Lamb
- Bake your cakes according to the recipe instructions. Let cakes cool completely on wire racks in their pans.
- Make your buttercream according to recipe instructions.
- Place a dollop of buttercream on a cake plate to hold the cake to the plate.
- Remove one of the cake layers from the cake pan. Use a serrated knife to slice the top of your cake so the top is level.
- Place the cake cut-side-up on the cake plate.
- Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread an equal layer of buttercream on top.
- Remove the second cake layer from your cake pan. Level the second cake layer as you did with the first layer. Place the second cake layer cut-side-down onto the first frosted layer.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Gently use your bench scraper against the side of the cake to scrape all the way around to smooth out the frosting.
- Use a piping bag and a star tip with a coupler and plastic ring, pipe little rosette dabs around the outside edge of the cake.
- Fill in the top third with more dabs of piped frosting.
To make the ears
Shape two pieces of white fondant into ears. I tinted a little bit of white fondant into pink with the all natural red food coloring and kneaded it in until it was evenly distributed. I found that it took a little more coloring than typical food dyes. Out of the pink fondant, make two small triangles to put in the middle of the ears. Stick them on with a drop of water. Place each ear onto a toothpick. Gently push the other end of the toothpick into the sides of the cake for his sweet little ears.
To make the nose and mouth
Use the pink fondant to make a little triangle and then rolled a small piece of fondant between my hands and shaped. Place on top of the cake and gently press down.
To make the eyes
Tint a little bit of white fondant into blue with the all natural food coloring and kneaded it in until evenly distributed. Roll in between your hands, as you did with the mouth, until it is even. Shape it into lines for the eyes. Place on top of the cake and gently press down.