Sunday, June 29, 2014

Bacon Flavored Coconut - Vegan alternative

 I don't miss meat. I don't even miss cheese, which was a surprise. I do, however, miss BLTs. Especially in the summer with a big piece of juicy watermelon and an ear of locally grown corn. Yum. I have been trying out some bacon alternatives to see if there is something that will make for a great sandwich. Last year I tried a marinaded tempeh which I thought was pretty good. My husband choked it down with a fake smile, gritted teeth,  and no complaints, but it was clearly not a favorite of his. Last week I thought maybe roasted mushrooms in a marinade would work well. However, between the dog and two small boys I got distracted and they burned. Laughably, this probably made them taste quite similar to the turkey bacon we used to eat because I inevitable burned that each time as well. So... last night I tried coconut flakes. There are some recipes out there using coconut flakes to mimic bacon in recipes. I liked the combination of seasonings I had used for the mushrooms so I based mine on that. They turned out great. Obviously, the goal is not a bacon replica. It is to find a substitute that has some similar characteristics (touch of hickory, salty, and a little crunch). They worked well on the sandwich, with the exception of not staying put as well as a longer piece of bacon and I ate them on a salad the next day for lunch and they were even better. I am seeing them turning up in soups and salads in the future. Yum. 

 

Coconut "Bacon"

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
  • 4 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 
  • 4 cups large flaked coconut

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  3.  Pour in flaked coconut.
  4. Stir or toss to coat the coconut in the liquid mixture. 
  5. Once the coconut is evenly coated, pour it onto a parchment lined baking sheet 
  6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes so it cooks evenly. It WILL burn if you’re not careful, so make sure to stir!
  7. For storage, place in glass storage container with lid and refrigerate.  


No comments:

Post a Comment