Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp - Gluten Free and Plant Based

I've never been much of a rhubarb fan. I think it had something to do with the look of warm, mushy, stringy "celery"-looking stuff in a dessert.  I don't like pie and so rhubarb pie was always off the radar. We had rhubarb growing on the side of our house when we moved in. That first year I just ignored it and at the end of the year my husband cut it down to the ground for winter and I didn't think about it again. Last year I was pregnant and the food I usually like didn't even sound good, let alone rhubarb. This year, Patrick decided it needed to be put to good use. He does not have the aversion that I have apparently. I really didn't have any recipes for rhubarb and so I pieced together other "crisp" recipes I have used in the past.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Ingredients
  • 1 pint of strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
  • 2 cups rhubarb, in 1-inch cubes
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 3/4 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup oat flour (can use regular flour if you don't need gluten free)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup oats
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 5 tbsp melted coconut oil, more if necessary 
  • Slivered Almonds (optional) 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Place strawberries, rhubarb, and 1/2 cup of sugar in an 8x8-inch baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and orange juice and combine with the fruit in the baking dish.
  3. In a medium bowl stir together flour, remaining 1/4 cup white sugar, brown sugar, salt and oats. Start by adding 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil and work into crumbs by hand until you achieve course crumbly mixture. Add more melted coconut oil as needed, one tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.
  4. Spread the crumb over the fruit mix and sprinkle sliced almonds on top (optional). Bake for 1 hour until bubbly and golden brown.
  5. Serve warm with coconut cream or dairy free ice cream


    .

No comments:

Post a Comment