Thursday, September 26, 2013

Head Down

7 weeks old today.

I am tired but still functioning. I realized with my first baby that I don't need as much sleep as I thought. I don't get frustrated at night when this second one won't sleep. I know that I will still get up in the morning and start the day. Strangely I don't feel all that tired. I should. Maybe it will catch up with me at some point or maybe the brain just tricks itself into feeling "normal" because there is no other choice. Last night for instance M and I were asleep by 9:45p. He was up to eat at 12:45a but then there was no going back to sleep. We were up until 3:30a. I nursed and rocked and let him cry and nursed again and eventually he fell back to sleep. I have come to HATE the pacifier. Getting up to put it back in time and time again. It will disappear shortly I fear. ;)

I feel as if I just have my head down and am plowing through one day, one week at a time. I am still on maternity leave for 5 more weeks which helps. Would hate to treat patients in a state of constant sleep deprivation. 

Two weeks ago M and I went to see a lactation consultant at the pediatricians office. M is growing like a week but was still not tolerating something. The Zantac is definitely helping the pain with the reflux but something was not right. I would feed him and then he would scream and claw me and literally try and climb up my chest and shoulders. He would eventually burp (while screaming), spit up all over us both and then he would get the hiccups and so we would start again. Over and over and over. Finally, by trial and error, I discovered that one thing he was not tolerating was the Enjoy Life Chocolate that I had put in the Mother's Milk Cookies I had made. I was also eating small amounts of it in homemade trail mix. Sigh. That is love. To give up dairy. What I wouldn't give for a piece of cheese and a Dove dark chocolate square. Soon enough I suppose.

I did have another friend who had to eliminate dairy from her diet for her little one, send me a message that said that after 7 months of no dairy she had developed adult onset lactose intolerance. I am not sure how common this is, or if it typically resolves. I intend to do a bit of research on that, once I have enough brain power to process that information. :)

I also have added back in soybean oil and soy lechtin without issues. That opens up a few options including a very select few places to eat out. We don't really eat out when I don't have dietary restrictions but it would be nice to have the option occasionally. Another thing I need to do, look up the options for restaurants.  I'll put it on the list. Ha.

1-2 more months before adding soy back in. Maybe we will be sleeping by then?!



No comments:

Post a Comment